Search in This Site

Peabody Awards Winners Celebrate their Success

Modern Family's Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara have a Muppet moment  with Sesame Street's Elmo at the 69th annual Peabody Awards at The  Waldorf-Astoria on Monday.

Modern Family's Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara have a Muppet moment with Sesame Street's Elmo at the 69th annual Peabody Awards at The Waldorf-Astoria on Monday.

Where: The Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York

About the event: Hosted by Diane Sawyer, the awards honored achievements in TV, radio and the Web with a luncheon Monday afternoon. This year the 16-member board put a spotlight on Modern Family, Glee, In Treatment, No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Brick City, Frontline, SesameStreet.org, NPR.org and more.

Guest list: Modern Family's Ed O'Neill, Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara and Eric Stonestreet; Brick City's series executive producer Forest Whitaker and Glee's Matthew Morrison, Jessalyn Gilsig, Jane Lynch and series creator Ryan Murphy.

All in the 'Family': O'Neill is enjoying his show's success and revealed an unlikely fan. "I ran into Steven Spielberg in a coffee shop, and he said it was his favorite show and he watched it with his daughter and his wife and they loved it," O'Neill said. "When I heard that I thought, 'Maybe we're doing all right.' "

For the Gleeks: With the Lady Gaga episode approaching (it airs after the finale of American IdolMay 26) we had to ask: Will there be a Britney Spears episode? "We love Britney. We're talking to Britney," Murphy said. "I think you have to be very careful on the show not to do too many tribute episodes, but she certainly has a huge body of work to pull from. And the kids grew up with her, so that is a consideration."

News you can use: Fans of Starz's Party Down can look for Lynch to reprise her role as Constance Carmell in the show's season finale, this time as a bride-to-be. "They cater my wedding," she confided. "So I'm in the last one. And it's the first time I've worked with Megan (Mullally). I've known her for years, it was wonderful."

Summer hiatus: Sexy star Vergara is shooting the new Smurfs movie in New York this summer (as Odile, opposite Neil Patrick Harris), while Stonestreet plays Cameron Diaz's roommate in the upcoming movie Bad Teacher. "Cameron Diaz is one of the sweetest people I've ever met," he said. "She saw that I was kind of twitching my neck, and the next thing I know she had set up an appointment for me to go to her chiropractor."

European vacation: Stars Morrison and Lynch, who are not currently on the Glee music tour, are headed for Europe, separately. "I'm going to be following the World Cup. I'm so excited," Morrison said. His team? "The U.S., definitely." Of his absence on tour, the actor is coy but said, "Early, early on — I can't really talk about it — but I didn't sign something the kids had to sign." Meanwhile, Lynch is headed to Monaco and England, and then it's tool-belt time. "I'm renovating my house, so I've got a lot going on," she said.

Role reversal: With their dream jobs now in hand, we wanted to know what jobs these stars wouldn't do. "I'm glad I'm not working at the Gap anymore, folding shirts and jeans," Morrison said with a laugh. "I was really good at it though." For O'Neill, a comedy veteran since Married ... With Children, his worst nightmare is "a one-hour drama procedural — 'cause that's like building the Pyramids."